Indian School of Innovation in Sustainability (INSIST) is an institution which will build on traditional knowledges and contemporary experimentation to an innovative and sustainable society .
CEO : Anuradha Dasgupta – anuradha dasgupta
The vision of INSIST is to build a multi-faceted venture that aims to catalyze and grow the sustainability movement in India.
INSIST wishes to create new ways of breaking existing dichotomies, such as state/civil society, or people vs. markets. While recognizing the important tensions within these frameworks, it aims to shake up the civic and public discourse by emphasizing a pragmatic, experimental approach.
It has three facets.
First, it will forge cutting edge conversations aimed at green solutions on the continent, bringing together industry, NGOs, governmental agencies, designers, scientists, academics, in events that will set the agenda for the next generation of collaboration and innovations.
Second, it will identify and nurture the next generation of green technical talent, partnering with institutions all over the continent to establish INSIST Centers that will offer cutting edge curricula, and ultimately, building a vibrant and trend setting open-university.
Third, it will be a research and consultancy house, drawing on world’s best talent to offer real world solutions and identify opportunities at various scales.
Sunny Narang on INSIST and Sauman Das Gupta :
“I joke often that my best times have been with karigars, weavers, artisans, mechanics, musicians, designers, theatre people and yes nerds and innovators.
From the Jugaadus to the Techies.
I met Sauman Dasgupta , who I call an Hippie-Nerd few years ago, on Facebook.
A Shillong Bengali, he had spent years in ASEAN and Australia, an engineer with a ‘mad bent of mind’.
He has been my co-traveler on Cryptocurrencies aka Bitcoin , and I bet on it before Trump’s election and doubled my money in a couple of months
But jokes apart, Sauman’s passion has been creating sustainable solutions for rural India.
And use all the latest tools to make it happen.
He is Coordinator of a Non-Profit one co-founded with another friend, an academic in USA, Indian School of Innovation in Sustainability, INSIST for short (It was ISIS before that damn Syria thingie came up, I had a dozen ISIS domain names ;-))
So Sauman Da, has created a coalition of Nerds and Innovators, Entrepreneurs and Public Sector Enterprises from USA to Australia, India to Singapore with crazy futuristic products and services being imagined, designed in China, Taiwan and right here in India.
Even I cannot make sense of a lot of what he does.
Most of my associates and friends who have met him, think him to be beyond comprehension.
But then, I have always had a kink for the Mad Ones.
Something that was imagined as a non-profit platform where innovators, entrepreneurs , policy-makers, public and private sector, educators, start-ups come together to apply ground solutions and train people to make them move and grow like the logo which is a triangulated tree with multiple dialectics and oppositions and synthesis .
Like the ‘business and organisation’ model, it is and will always be a work-in-progress, depending on the partners and collaborators.
It was initiated by an academic friend from California and me, but now it belongs to those who will take ahead the Applied Sustainability Community ahead.
The dream was to build a multi-faceted venture that aims to catalyze and grow the sustainability movement in India with the cutting-edge in technology innovations with entrepreneurs worldwide and also simultaneously a wish to create new ways of breaking existing dichotomies, such as state/civil society, or people vs. markets. While recognizing the important tensions within these frameworks, the aim was to shake up the civic and public discourse by emphasizing a pragmatic, experimental approach. Also build in-situ INSIST centres in labs, organic farms, factories, colleges. A kind of innovating-doing-training ecosystem. Was a big fantasy.
Sauman is like a raving mad professor .
If you follow the INSIST FB page you will see hundreds of sustainability innovations from everywhere, and the funny thing is, he knows many of them. From ex army-men in India, Australia and US Marines to disruptive-tech engineers in Holland to latest grid-energy electronics inventors . It all still seems unreal, but contacts are building. Between PSU’s desiring to leap into the sustainable manufacturing age , to hemp-paper led smart-villages , to nano-material led housing. The thing always is to focus and build businesses with crazy creative people. Hope we can build such a team.
Sauman is Coordinator – Innovation in INSIST – has over 28 years of expertise in Mechanical Sealing Solution and Energy Efficiency Industry, Quality Assurance, Ecosystem Development, ICT and Green Energy. He brings along with him a passion and drive to work for more sustainable and creative solutions for society. He believes that technology can be an enabler for decentralised and more humane social systems. He has a B.Sc. major in Physics (NEHU Shillong), and B.Tech in Chemical Technology, with specialisation in Oil Technology (HBTI Kanpur). Sauman has extensive experience in the Asia Pacific and Australasia region.
Let me tell you one thing I have learnt. That there may be hundreds of trillions of USD saved up in the Global Economy , but the sustainability entrepreneurs are not being supported anywhere, either by VC’s or Pension funds who want absolute security. The innovators from Israel to Italy to Australia to India to USA are there, but not the funding and business development. There are hundreds of innovators who can disrupt everything from diagnostic technology to smart-grids, and I have met many, but little funding.
So since 2015, what is this underground animal called INSIST doing ?
Year 2015 :
- INSIST did the first of a kind Sustainability Scoping Study for NEPA Nepa Mills India’s oldest Paper Mill and an ailing PSU. The first study of it’s kind in India that defines a methodology of mapping and developing self sustaining models to rejuvenate PSU’s. The Indian Parliament via the Dept of Heavy Industry had incorporated three of the main focus themes.
- INSIST started working on building the Simpal Portal with the first ever PSU, Institution and Industry partnership to create sustainable products. The PSU is REIL Rail JP
- INSIST started exploring deployment partners for solutions for housing and drinking water
Year 2016 :
- INSIST with partner DOLF developed the first Bucky’s Geodoscopic Dome Twitter Sauman and Hut for multiple shelter /utility applications made from recycled FRP. The units can be assembled by two women with just a simple spanner kit.This took 80 tries to design and deploy. Since then a lot of interest has been received from around the world with applications ranging from refugee housing to mohalla clinics. Tests were carried out through 2017 and now all models are ready to be marketed.
- INSIST knowledge transferred the world first Nano Carbon Mesh BSSM based water filtration technology to BSS Ltd to provide low cost drinking water solutions. In 2017 all local tests have been completed and Water Ministry has approved the technology and product this year (2018)in March. INSIST is also working with the BSS and the Indian Defense forces to develop and extend potable good drinking water in combat and disaster situations.
- INSIST assisted NGA to pitch and develop the AIR EYE NGA Life pollution monitoring methodology. Device and software were already done in 2015.
Year 2017 :
- GRIDO was formed which is supported by INSIST to introduce physical manufacturing and testing of components / products for disrupting the ‘digital divide’ (5G gateways, Next Gen Annteneas, IOT, M2M, AI EV, NEMS, STEM hardware). REIL and DHI being the facilitators. The objective is to develop a common platform whereby legal, manufacturing and all other value chain attached contributes and derives benefits commensurate to work done. Full respect and IP protection. On going. Different components in different stages of proto typing, testing, standardization .
- INSIST starts mentoring Bomlife
- Partnership ,discussions and participation on R&D projects focused on Sustainability and Climate Change with various stakeholders. In India and across the globe.
Year 2018 :
- Private Public partnership process in Energy Storage with CSIR-CECRI Cecri to establish alternate recyclable materials and technology for Batteries initiated.
- SIMPAL with INSIST and GRIDO to manufacture and market Enzinc Batteries across SAARC .India being the manufacturing hub. First commercial Enzinc Battery expected by 2019.
- SIMPAL with INSIST and GRIDO to manufacture and market Vanadium Pentaoxide Pure Redox Flow batteries of Storen Tech. for SAARC and India.